Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science
This qualification offers a practical introduction to science and is designed to support progression to further study or employment in a science-related field. As part of the course, you will:
- practise experimental scientific techniques and explore how they are applied in industry
- develop your knowledge and understanding of concepts in biology, chemistry and physics
- plan and carry out a scientific investigation of your own choosing
- explore ways in which topical scientific issues are presented in the media
- investigate the role of scientists and the different career pathways open to them Units 1 – 3 are completed in year 12 and units 4 – 6 are completed in year 13.
The Level 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Science consists of six units.
Units 1 – 3 are completed in year 12 and units 4 – 6 are completed in year 13.
|Unit Title||Assessment Type|
|Key concepts in Science||External examination|
|Applied experimental techniques||Internal centre assessed|
|Science in the modern world||External assignment|
|The human body||External examination|
|Investigating science||Internal centre assessed|
|Microbiology||Internal centre assessed|
To be accepted onto the course you will need the following at GCSE:
- English Language or English Literature at Grade 4 or above
- Mathematics at Grade 4 or above
- Combined Science at Grade 5,4 or above